Improvements in Batch Cycle Times in Liquid Paint
- Company making liquid paint in Batch Reactors and Mixers for Automotive and Industrial customers.
- Wide variety of products – greater than 3000 parent products with more numerous SKU’s.
- OEE – Upper 60% / Lower 70% / OTIF – 75-80%
- Plant overall reactive / Reliability programs just beginning
- Production Planning with frequent changes to the schedule
- Relatively low demand and high cost to produce
- OTIF performance poor
- Additional Hidden capacity could mean less efficient plants could be consolidated resulting in higher utilizations at more efficient plants – Key Improve Cycle time, rationalize plants across the network and lower production costs.
- Caravel developed a cloud-based Process Engineering Tool to evaluate cycle times by product, by work cycle, product family, sku, etc.
- Tool was equipped with algorithm to mine data and actively look for opportunities.
- Cycles times for key steps in the process were analyzed.
- Work cells cycle time variability ranged typically based on number of products and type of technology
- Product portfolio analysis also indicated a need to improve actual costing vs the current standard costing models
- Large number of small volume products that were causing higher cycle times – robbing capacity from more frequently made products
- Entire network was financially modelled to identify plants to consolidate.
- Key Product Portfolio initiatives were started with the business to reduce number of products and reduce complexity as well as improve margin
- Improved view of operations – Top Most Difficult products to make
- Improved Reliability Program increased Uptime by 5% and is still on-going
- Key roles in the organization added to optimize production scheduling – ensure best asset and minimum changeover losses
- Cloud Based Tool rolled out to actively / automatically analyze cycle times.
TOTAL IMPACT: $6-15 MILLION / YR
Site still in process of implementing
Download a copy of our case studies for review.